Carpooling Transportation Travel Recreation.
By having more people using one vehicle, carpooling reduces each person's travel costs such as fuel costs, tolls, and the stress of driving. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Carpooling is the sharing of car journeys so that more than one person travels in a car, and prevents the need for others to have to drive to a location themselves. By having more people using one vehicle, carpooling reduces each person's travel costs such as: fuel costs, tolls, and the stress of driving. Carpooling is also a more environmentally friendly and sustainable way to travel as sharing journeys reduces air pollution, carbon emissions, traffic congestion on the roads, and the need for parking spaces. Authorities often encourage carpooling, especially during periods of high pollution or high fuel prices. Car sharing is a good way to use up the full seating capacity of a car, which would otherwise remain unused if it were just the driver using the car In 2009, carpooling represented 43.5% of all trips in the United States and 10% of commute trips. The majority of carpool commutes are "fam-pools" with family members.
- Flight sharing - Flight sharing is the sharing of the costs of non-commercial general aviation aircraft flights between a licensed pilot and their passengers.
- Hitchhiking - Hitchhiking is a means of transportation that is gained by asking people, usually strangers, for a ride in their automobile or other vehicle. A ride is usually, but not always, free.
- Public transportation - Public transport is a shared passenger-transport service which is available for use by the general public, as distinct from modes such as taxicab, carpooling, hired buses, ride-sharing, and transportation network companies, which are not shared by the general public without private arrangement.
- Real-time ridesharing - Real-time ridesharing is a service that arranges one-time shared rides on very short notice. This type of carpooling generally makes use of three recent technological advances...
- Rota (schedule) - A schedule, often called a rota or roster, is a list of employees, and associated information e.g. location, working times, responsibilities for a given time period e.g. week, month or sports season.
- Shared transport - Shared transport is a term for describing a demand-driven vehicle-sharing arrangement, in which travelers share a vehicle either simultaneously or over time, and in the process share the cost of the journey, thereby creating a hybrid between private vehicle use and mass or public transport.
- Car culture
- Sustainable transport