Animals help teach reading. The student is encouraged to read out loud to a dog or other animal trained to "listen." The dog looks at the reader or at the book and doesn't interrupt if the reader stumbles over a difficult word. Most of these programs are run by groups that also do Animal Assisted Therapy. Literacy Animal Assisted Therapy Pets Recreation.
Literacy is traditionally understood as the ability to read, write, and use arithmetic. The modern term's meaning has been expanded to include the ability to use language, numbers, images, computers, and other basic means to understand, communicate, gain useful knowledge and use the dominant symbol systems of a culture. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Literacy is traditionally meant as the ability to read and write. The modern term's meaning has been expanded to include the ability to use language, numbers, images, computers, and other basic means to understand, communicate, gain useful knowledge, solve mathematical problems and use the dominant symbol systems of a culture. The concept of literacy is expanding in OECD countries to include skills to access knowledge through technology and ability to assess complex contexts. A person who travels and resides in a foreign country but is unable to read or write in the language of the host country would also be regarded by the locals as being illiterate.
- Literacy Category
- International Literacy Foundation - The International Literacy Foundation is an independent, international nonprofit organisation, founded in 2010 with the aim of tackling illiteracy globally and therefore improving living standards around the world.
- Functional illiteracy - Functional illiteracy is reading and writing skills that are inadequate "to manage daily living and employment tasks that require reading skills beyond a basic level".
- Legal literacy - Legal awareness sometimes called Public legal education, is the empowerment of individuals regarding issues involving the law. Legal awareness helps to promote consciousness of legal culture, participation in the formation of laws and the rule of law.
- Numeracy - Numeracy is the ability to reason and to apply simple numerical concepts. Basic numeracy skills consist of comprehending fundamental arithmetics like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Book desert - A book desert is a geographic area where printed books and other reading material are allegedly hard to obtain, particularly without access to an automobile or other form of transportation.
- Reading (process)
- Applied linguistics
- Social classes
- Therapy Professor Pups www
Therapy dogs lend a paw to children learning to read. Pups. The dogs don't rush the kids or interrupt them. Princeton and central New Jersey. Professor Pups.
- Students Reading Aide Does Her Job by Lying on the Carpet www
Students read to Annabelle, Aide Does Her Job by Lying on the Carpet, a beagle, who listens politely. This Canine-Assisted Reading Education (CARE) program is run by Caring Canines, a volunteer organization that offers animal-assisted activities in the Baltimore-Washington area. [Laurel Leader] Reading Aide Does Her Job by Lying on the Carpet.
- Salt Canine Companions May Help Kids Learn to Read www
Salt Lake City program in which kids read to dogs. Companions May Help Kids Learn to Read. The children have shown dramatic improvement in skills, and other states are now following Utah's lead. National Geographic. Canine Companions May Help Kids Learn to Read.
- Television Unusual Help for Reading Problems www
Television report on program in Salt Lake City in which children read to dogs that "listen. Help for Reading Problems." Comments from some of the kids. Unusual Help for Reading Problems.
- This Reading to the Animals www
This library program uses dogs as listeners. the Animals. Kids gain skills reading out loud. One child even read in Chinese. [Pleasanton Weekly] Reading to the Animals.
- A Welcome To Kayla's Club www
A weekly after-school program for gifted, Kayla's Club, at risk, and special needs students at a middle school outside Houston, TX. Children gain confidence and interpersonal skills. Welcome To Kayla's Club.
- Non-profit Paws With A Purpose www
Non-profit pet therapy organization in Asheville North Carolina provides dogs to schools, With A Purpose, hospitals, and retirement homes. Paws With A Purpose.
- An Visiting Dogs www
An article by the owner of Jake on doing therapy dog visits. Visiting Dogs.
- Alexa: Literacy Animal Assisted Therapy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Literacy Animal Assisted Therapy
- DMOZ: Literacy Animal Assisted Therapy
dmoz.org Directory: Literacy Animal Assisted Therapy