Urban exploration involves exploring (usually abandoned) man made structures such as ghost towns and derelict houses, old mines, rail tunnels, closed factories, and public infrastructures such as storm water drains and bridge rooms. Also known as industrial archaeology. Urban Exploration Outdoors Recreation.
Urban exploration (often shortened as urbex or UE, and sometimes known as 'roof-and-tunnel hacking') is the exploration of man-made structures, usually abandoned ruins or not usually seen components of the man-made environment. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Urban exploration is the exploration of man-made structures, usually abandoned ruins or not usually seen components of the man-made environment. Photography and historical interest/documentation are heavily featured in the hobby and, although it may sometimes involve trespassing onto private property, this is not always the case. Urbex or urban exploration may also be referred to as draining, urban spelunking, urban rock climbing, urban caving, or building hacking.
- Urban exploration Category
- Caving - Caving ? also traditionally known as spelunking in the United States and Canada and potholing in the United Kingdom and Ireland ? is the recreational pastime of exploring wild cave systems. In contrast, speleology is the scientific study of caves and the cave environment.
- C.H.U.D. - C.H.U.D. is a 1984 American science fiction horror film produced by Andrew Bonime, and directed by Douglas Cheek with Peter Stein as the director of photography and William Bilowit as production designer.
- Dead malls - A dead mall is a shopping mall with a high vacancy rate or a low consumer traffic level, or that is dated or deteriorating in some manner.
- Eastern State Penitentiary - The Eastern State Penitentiary, also known as ESP, is a former American prison in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is located at 2027 Fairmount Avenue between Corinthian Avenue and North 22nd Street in the Fairmount section of the city, and was operational from 1829 until 1971.
- Freedom Tunnel - The Freedom Tunnel is the name given to the Amtrak tunnel under Riverside Park in Manhattan, New York City. It got its name because the graffiti artist Chris "Freedom" Pape used the tunnel walls to create some of his most notable artwork.
- Ghost town - A ghost town is an abandoned village, town, or city, usually one that contains substantial visible remains.
- Adventure travel
- Urban decay
- History Dead Malls www
History and personal recollections of abandoned malls in the USA. Dead Malls.
- The WordPress.com: Urban Exploration Tag www
The UE tag for WordPress weblogs. Urban Exploration Tag. Links to posts which have been tagged as urban exploration. WordPress.com: Urban Exploration Tag.
- Photos Flickr: Old Retired Vehicles www
Photos of vehicles abandoned along country roads with discussion forum. Flickr: Old Retired Vehicles.
- Tips Photographing Abandoned Houses www
Tips and suggestion on how to turn old abandoned houses, Abandoned Houses, into fantastic photographic subjects. Photographing Abandoned Houses.
- A Secret Urban Exploration Ninja Mafia www
A satire site which makes fun of the activity; includes photos from missions into a friend's garage, Urban Exploration Ninja Mafia, the refrigerator, and dorm toilets. Secret Urban Exploration Ninja Mafia.
- Publishes Jinx Magazine www
Publishes reports on urban exploration and international adventure. Magazine. The magazine has been published, irregularly, since 1997. Jinx Magazine.
- Hyperlinked Wikipedia - Urban Exploration www
Hyperlinked encyclopedia article about urban exploration, Urban Exploration, including targets and media coverage. Wikipedia - Urban Exploration.
- An Urban Sites by City www
An archive of information on underground urban sites and structures throughout the world. Urban Sites by City.
- Longest-running The Urban Explorers Network www
Longest-running cooperative collection of UE information on the Web. Urban Explorers Network. Information on sites from around the world, submitted by fellow explorers. The Urban Explorers Network.
- Home Vernacular Architecture Society www
Home of VASSA, Architecture Society, the Vernacular Architecture Society of South Africa based in Cape town. Resources, history, membership and what's on. Vernacular Architecture Society.
- Destroyed Urban Exploring in Guinea-Bissau www
Destroyed presidential palace, Exploring in Guinea-Bissau, abandoned hotels and restaurants. Urban Exploring in Guinea-Bissau.
- Gallery Ruin Japan www
Gallery from Taijyu Fubuki, Japan, photographer and video director. Ruin Japan.
- Off Gukanjima - View of an Abandoned Island www
Off the westernmost coast of Japan, View of an Abandoned Island, is an island called Gunkanjima, or Battleship island, that is hardly known even to the Japanese. In 1974 the mining closed and the island become totally deserted. Gukanjima - View of an Abandoned Island.
- Artistic, Flickr: Carmageddon www
Artistic, Carmageddon, rather than purely technical, pictures of abandoned cars and trucks. Flickr: Carmageddon.
- This Flickr: Man with Van www
This group is for pictures of signs and flyers of men (and women), Man with Van, advertising their vans for hire or the actual, preferably road-beaten, rusty, graffiti-covered and crudely-painted vans themselves. Flickr: Man with Van.
- Photographs Barbados Ruins www
Photographs by Stephen E. Ruins. Mendes. Barbados Ruins.
- A Live Journal: Abandoned Places www
A community dedicated entirely for those of us fascinated with everything abandoned. Live Journal: Abandoned Places.
- A Yahoo Groups: Modern Ruins www
A forum for photographers of modern ruins. Groups: Modern Ruins. Discussion and shared photographs. Yahoo Groups: Modern Ruins.
- The Berliner Bunkernetzwerk www
The BBN registered association is concerned with the research and investigation as well as with the documentation of old manufacturing plants, Bunkernetzwerk, tunnels, channels and civil defence structures of all epochs. English version is available by clicking the link given. Berliner Bunkernetzwerk.
- Modern The Silent The Complete www
Modern ruins in Finland. Silent The Complete. Photographic tours of abandoned factories, tunnels and bridges. The Silent The Complete.
- Alexa: Urban Exploration Outdoors
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Urban Exploration Outdoors
- DMOZ: Urban Exploration Outdoors
dmoz.org Directory: Urban Exploration Outdoors