Letterboxing is a outdoor recreational activity which combines collecting, puzzle-solving, and treasure hunting. Briefly, letterboxing enthusiasts hide and hunt weatherproof containers in remote or scenic places. Each container holds a guestbook, a rubber stamp and stamp pad. The planter of the letterbox distributes clues to its location; solution of these clues may require a combination of skills such as mapreading, orienteering, and puzzle-solving. Letterboxers carry their own stamp book and personal stamp when hunting for hidden boxes. Upon finding a letterbox, they will impress their own book using the found stamp, and leave their own stamping or personalization in the letterbox guestbook. Letterboxing Outdoors Recreation.
- Letterboxing (filming) The practice of transferring film shot in a widescreen aspect ratio to standard-width video...
- Letterboxing (hobby) An outdoor hobby that combines elements of orienteering, art, and puzzle solving.
- Letterboxing North America www
US-based portal offering FAQ, North America, links, forums, and a members-only section where clues can be submitted.
- Letterboxing North America WebRing www
Links to dozens of forums and clue sites. North America WebRing.
- Clues Wanda and Pete's Letterboxes www
Clues for boxes placed primarily in Rhode Island, and Pete's Letterboxes, but a few in other states as well. Also includes logs of the movement of hitchhiker boxes, primarily in New England. Wanda and Pete's Letterboxes.
- Challenging The Mapsurfer Treasureboxes www
Challenging letterbox clues by Randy Hall, Mapsurfer Treasureboxes, the author of The Letterboxing Companion. The Mapsurfer Treasureboxes.
- Account History of Dartmoor Letterboxing www
Account first published as "More Dartmoor Letterboxes" by Anne Swinscow in 1986. History of Dartmoor Letterboxing.
- Posts First Finds www
Posts first finds submitted by new US letterboxers, Finds, organized by state. First Finds.
- Chuck Chuck's Letterboxing www
Chuck and Molly's letterboxes in Connecticut. Chuck's Letterboxing.
- Artist Aisling Dart www
Artist from Salem, Dart, Massachusetts describes her boxes. Aisling Dart.
- Article Washington Post: Thinking Inside the Box www
Article by Caroline Kettlewell describes her discovery of the activity. Washington Post: Thinking Inside the Box.
- Article About.com: Letterboxing and Geocaching Attract Walkers www
Article describing the basics and the factors that motivate people to start letterboxing. About.com: Letterboxing and Geocaching Attract Walkers.
- Radio NPR : Letterboxing www
Radio host Linda Wertheimer and Thomas Johnston, Letterboxing, an enthusiast in Washington, D.C., find a letterbox near the White House. [audio] NPR : Letterboxing.
- Search Chowder's Southern California Letterboxes www
Search for boxes in Long Beach, Southern California Letterboxes, San Bernardino and Lake Arrowhead, California. Chowder's Southern California Letterboxes.
- Clues Letterboxing Germany www
Clues for Germany and other European countries. Germany. Includes photos and tips. [English, German] Letterboxing Germany.
- Weblog Fleur de Lis' Letterboxing Journal www
Weblog about his letterboxing hobby. Fleur de Lis' Letterboxing Journal.
- Clues I-95 Letterboxes www
Clues to quick and easy letterboxes to find while traveling on Route I-95, Letterboxes, from Maine to Florida. I-95 Letterboxes.
- Discussion Yahoo! Groups: Letterboxing Northeast www
Discussion group for the northeastern US. Yahoo! Groups: Letterboxing Northeast.
- Clues Kansas Letterboxes www
Clues for letterboxes located in Kansas. Kansas Letterboxes.
- Mark New England Area Letterboxing Gatherings www
Mark and Sue's weblog of letterboxing events in New England. New England Area Letterboxing Gatherings.
- Blog Stamp-in-the-Box www
Blog and Michigan clues and events. Stamp-in-the-Box.
- Forum Letterboxers Anonymous www
Forum with clues and discussion topics. Anonymous. Includes helpful hints on methods and supplies. Letterboxers Anonymous.
- National LB Con www
National letterboxing convention. Con. List of events, tickets and merchandise, accommodations, and visitors guide. LB Con.
- Includes Letterboxing Minnesota www
Includes letterboxing basics and clues for Minnesota letterboxes. Letterboxing Minnesota.
- Discussion Yahoo! Groups: Letterboxing USA www
Discussion group for US letterboxers. Yahoo! Groups: Letterboxing USA.
- Clues, New Zealand Letterboxing www
Clues, Zealand Letterboxing, views, and news including boxes from Team Psychokiwi, Judi, Linton, and the Bunny. New Zealand Letterboxing.
- Informal Rhode Island's Bored Nocturnal Adventurer's Guild www
Informal group and clues to the boxes they've planted. Rhode Island's Bored Nocturnal Adventurer's Guild.
- Introduction, Dartmoor Letterboxes www
Introduction, Letterboxes, tips and things to avoid, news, survey, and letterbox clues for the Dartmoor area. Dartmoor Letterboxes.
- Introductory New Times: Carved in Rubber www
Introductory article by Ashley Schwellenbach featuring a letterboxer and the founder of Atlas Quest. New Times: Carved in Rubber.
- Includes Dartmoor Letterboxing www
Includes a forum, Letterboxing, image gallery, map of the area, contact details, and the history of the activity. Dartmoor Letterboxing.
- Discussion Yahoo! Groups: New Letterboxers Group www
Discussion forum and articles for those new to letterboxing. Yahoo! Groups: New Letterboxers Group.
- Rubber Der Mad Stamper www
Rubber stamp carver Mitch offers instructions on how to carve a stamp and clues to the many boxes he's planted in the US. Der Mad Stamper.
- Ambitious NeeDeep's State Stamp Letterboxes www
Ambitious family project placing letterboxes in each state, State Stamp Letterboxes, patterned after the US quarters series. NeeDeep's State Stamp Letterboxes.
- Family The Space Traveler www
Family offers clues for Pennsylvania, Space Traveler, New York and other states. The Space Traveler.
- Accounts, We Live and Breathe Letterboxing www
Accounts, Live and Breathe Letterboxing, photographs, and memorabilia of the 2008 event as well as an online recreation of the letterboxing museum. We Live and Breathe Letterboxing.
- Couple Mark and Sue Pepe www
Couple from Kensington, and Sue Pepe, Connecticut describe activities in eleven states and the island of Aruba. Mark and Sue Pepe.
- British Letterboxing Questionnaire www
British university student studying letterboxing for her dissertation asks visitors to answer a few questions on the activity. Letterboxing Questionnaire.
- Feature Fox News: Letterboxing Makes Hiking an Adventure www
Feature story datelined Oakland, News: Letterboxing Makes Hiking an Adventure, New Jersey. Fox News: Letterboxing Makes Hiking an Adventure.
- Articles Silent Doug's Letterboxing Site www
Articles including getting started, Doug's Letterboxing Site, outdoor ethics, and explanation of cryptic letterboxer codes. Also includes list of boxes found and clues for boxes placed in the northeastern region of the United States. Silent Doug's Letterboxing Site.
- Clues Buckaroo's Letterboxing www
Clues for boxes she planted in Washington and Massachusetts. Buckaroo's Letterboxing.
- Official Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection: Letterboxing www
Official site supports letterboxing in publicly owned state forests. Department of Environmental Protection: Letterboxing. Includes clues and a map of letterbox sites in state forests. Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection: Letterboxing.
- Introduction, Have Feet Will Travel www
Introduction, Feet Will Travel, contact details, and guidelines for letterboxing in the Dartmoor area. Have Feet Will Travel.
- Article The Gazette: Letterboxing a Hobby of Inky Fingers and Hidden Treasures www
Article on local letterboxing from chain of community newspapers near Washington, Gazette: Letterboxing a Hobby of Inky Fingers and Hidden Treasures, DC. The Gazette: Letterboxing a Hobby of Inky Fingers and Hidden Treasures.
- Community Atlas Quest Letterboxing www
Community with forums, Quest Letterboxing, searchable clues, trip planner, recording of finds, event listings, trackers, tutorials, photo galleries, and chat room. Atlas Quest Letterboxing.
- A PodCacher www
A weekly audio show about geocaching. PodCacher.
- Checks evince www
Checks solutions to puzzle caches. evince. Can accept coordinates that are "close enough" if the cache hider wants. No registration required. FAQ, help turning the cache description into HTML. evince.
- Alexa: Letterboxing Outdoors
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Letterboxing Outdoors
- DMOZ: Letterboxing Outdoors
dmoz.org Directory: Letterboxing Outdoors