This section includes all forms of the ancient art of Venery. Venery is hunting with a pack of scenthounds, as opposed to sighthounds which hunt (or "course") their quarry by sight. The group of Scenthounds includes foxhounds, harriers, bassets, beagles and bloodhounds. The quarry includes fox, coyote, deer, mink, hare, cottontail, "clean boot" and drag. Human beings have been practising hunting with hounds and falconry for thousands of years - they are the most ancient of sports. Some of the traditions, such as the hunting horn, existed from the beginning. Although the traditions are held in common, some terms are not and can cause confusion when looking at sites in various countries. Foxhunting Hunting Outdoors Recreation.
Fox hunting is an activity involving the tracking, chase, and sometimes killing of a fox, traditionally a red fox, by trained foxhounds or other scent hounds, and a group of unarmed followers led by a "master of foxhounds" ("master of hounds"), who follow the hounds on foot or on horseback. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Fox hunting is an activity involving the tracking, chase and, if caught, the killing of a fox, traditionally a red fox, by trained foxhounds or other scent hounds, and a group of unarmed followers led by a "master of foxhounds", who follow the hounds on foot or on horseback.
- Fox hunting Category
- Beagling - Beagling is the hunting mainly of hares, but also rabbits, but definitely not foxes by beagles by scent. A beagle pack is usually followed on foot, and in some limited examples, mounted.
- Drag hunting - Drag hunting, or draghunting, is a form of equestrian sport, where mounted riders hunt the trail of an artificially laid scent with hounds.
- Hunting the Clean Boot - Hunting the clean boot is a term that has been used in Britain to refer to the use of packs bloodhounds to follow a natural human scent trail.
- Hunting and shooting in the United Kingdom - In the United Kingdom hunting without qualification generally refers to hunting with hounds-normally fox hunting, beagling, stag hunting or minkhunting-whereas shooting is the shooting of game birds. What is called deer hunting elsewhere is deer stalking.
- Mink Hunting - Mink hunting is a country sport involving the hunting of American mink with scent hounds along the waterways which make up their habitat, in a manner similar to fox hunting.
- Fox tossing - Fox tossing was a popular competitive blood sport in parts of Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries, which involved throwing live foxes and other animals high into the air.
- Rural society in the United Kingdom
- Hunting with hounds
- Doug Foxhunting in Ol' Virginny www
Doug Morris's entertaining and informative site of worldwide fox hunting traditions, Ol' Virginny, commandments, glossary of terms, cartoons, animal rights weblog and photographs. Foxhunting in Ol' Virginny.
- The BBC: Fox Hunting Worldwide www
The similarities and differences in hunting with hounds in various countries all over the world. Fox Hunting Worldwide. Story and audio clips. BBC: Fox Hunting Worldwide.
- Matt's Matt Simpson's Foxhunting www
Matt's personal perspective on international fox hunting with an American slant. Simpson's Foxhunting. Includes information on the popular Foxhunters OnLine (FOL) email discussion group. Matt Simpson's Foxhunting.
- Information Liam's Hunting Directory www
Information about hunting with hounds around the world including fox hunting, Hunting Directory, basseting, beagling and draghunting. Hunt club directory, hunt reports, news articles, audio and video clips. Liam's Hunting Directory.
- Adrian Telegraph: A liming time had by all www
Adrian Dangar. liming time had by all. Hunting with hounds in Trinidad and Tobago - the similarities and differences with hunting in the UK. Telegraph: A liming time had by all.
- Bibliography Selected Harrier Reading www
Bibliography of hunting literature, Harrier Reading, especially pertaining to harriers. Selected Harrier Reading.
- Short Xenophon, On Hunting www
Short treatise on hunting with hounds (431-355 BC). Hunting. [English, Greek] Xenophon, On Hunting.
- Overview CIC - Traditional Hunting Commission www
Overview of the Commission which is charged with better informing the public about this form of hunting and also to defend it wherever it is threatened. Traditional Hunting Commission. From the CIC, International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation. CIC - Traditional Hunting Commission.
- Overview Rallye Oostveldbeagles www
Overview of beagling and this recognized pack. Oostveldbeagles. Photos. Ghent area. Rallye Oostveldbeagles.
- Offers Wellington-Waterloo Fox Hunt www
Offers newsletters, Fox Hunt, photo gallery, membership and support information, market place and members area. Ontario. Wellington-Waterloo Fox Hunt.
- Brief Fraser Valley Hunt www
Brief Introduction. Valley Hunt. British Columbia. Fraser Valley Hunt.
- Unmoderated Foxhunters OnLine www
Unmoderated mailing list about foxhunting, OnLine, horses and hounds. Foxhunters OnLine.
- An Hunting's Ethics www
An essay by Jonathan Detwiler, Ethics, a sophomore civil engineering student at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte. Hunting's Ethics.
- From Hunter Education Program www
From the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. Education Program. Descriptions of classes and clinics, including the Master Hunter course. Hunter Education Program.
- Alexa: Foxhunting Hunting
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Foxhunting Hunting
- DMOZ: Foxhunting Hunting
dmoz.org Directory: Foxhunting Hunting