This section, and its subcategories, are for informational, and personal sites which are entirely, or primarily about hiking. Hiking Outdoors Recreation.
Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails ( footpaths ), in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails, in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. On the other hand, in the United Kingdom, and the Republic of Ireland, the word "walking" is acceptable to describe all forms of walking, whether it is a walk in the park or backpacking in the Alps. The word hiking is also often used in the UK, along with rambling, hillwalking, and fell walking. The term bushwalking is endemic to Australia, having been adopted by the Sydney Bush Walkers club in 1927. In New Zealand a long, vigorous walk or hike is called tramping. It is a popular activity with numerous hiking organizations worldwide, and studies suggest that all forms of walking have health benefits.
- Hiking Category
- Bivouac shelter - A bivouac shelter is any of a variety of improvised camp site or shelter that is usually of a temporary nature, used especially by soldiers, persons engaged in scouting and mountain climbing.
- Outdoor literature - Outdoor literature is a literature genre about or involving the outdoors. Outdoor literature encompasses several different subgenres including exploration literature, adventure literature, mountain literature and nature writing.
- Dog hiking ? hiking with dogs that carry a pack.
- Llama hiking - Llama hiking, also known as llama trekking or llama caravanning, is an activity where llamas accompany people on walking expeditions, including eco-tourism. The expeditions can last from as little as a few hours to several days.
- Nordic Walking ? fitness walking with poles.
- Scrambling ? "non-technical" rock climbing or mountaineering, or "technical" hiking.
- Tourist activities
- Adventure travel
- Information County HighPointers www
Information on finding and hiking the US county high points. County HighPointers.
- Offers TheRucksack.net www
Offers detailed region and tour descriptions, TheRucksack.net, maps, and photos for hikers. TheRucksack.net.
- Ultralight Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource www
Ultralight backpacking the Appalachian Trail with a "10 pound pack". Ultralight Backpacking Resource. Includes gear lists, and links. Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource.
- Photos Berg-Diasammlung www
Photos of hikes and trekking tours in the alps and world-wide. Berg-Diasammlung.
- Hiking HikeMore www
Hiking and camping resource featuring a database of hiking trails in the USA where backcountry camping is permitted. HikeMore.
- Offers Pickatrail www
Offers interactive hiking trail maps and GPS waypoints to help backpackers find trailheads and landmarks. Pickatrail.
- Devoted Appalachian Trailplace www
Devoted to through hikers of the Appalachian Trail. Trailplace. Hikers' forum, online journals, directory of current thru-hikers, list archive, and shuttle database. Appalachian Trailplace.
- Site DayHiker.com www
Site dedicated to "extreme" day hikes with interesting sights and terrain. DayHiker.com. Small collection of hikes with basic hiking tips, and a hiker's forum. DayHiker.com.
- Virtual Northwest Hiker www
Virtual trail maps and hike suggestions for Idaho, Hiker, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Northwest Hiker.
- Gives Trail Journals www
Gives daily journals from various trails. Journals. Journals are written by both the site creators and users. Trail Journals.
- Includes Hiking the Carolinas www
Includes resource for hikers in the Southern Appalachians including the Smokies, the Carolinas, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Detailed trail descriptions, weather reports, directions, bulletin boards for finding hiking partners, and gear exchanges. Hiking the Carolinas.
- Basic The Hiking Web Site www
Basic information for hiking and backpacking beginners. The Hiking Web Site.
- Trail GrandCanyonHiker.com www
Trail profiles, GrandCanyonHiker.com, local weather, bulletin boards, and news about hiking in the Canyon. GrandCanyonHiker.com.
- Information Hike PA www
Information on hiking central Pennsylvania's 1700 miles of trails. Hike PA.
- A Gorp: Where to Hike www
A guide to hiking. Where to Hike. Provides trail finders, gear guides, and hiking tips. Gorp: Where to Hike.
- Information Peru's Royal Inca Trail www
Information of places to trek and visit in Peru, Royal Inca Trail, with emphasis on information on trekking in the Incatrail system, Cordillera Blanca, Huayhuash and other new routes in the Andes. Peru's Royal Inca Trail.
- A Australia's Bicentennial National Trail www
A 5, Bicentennial National Trail,330 km trail from North Queensland to Victoria. FAQs, history and guidebooks. Australia's Bicentennial National Trail.
- Stories David Noble's Bushwalking Page www
Stories and photos of walks in the Blue Mountains of NSW and the Arthur Ranges in Tasmania. Noble's Bushwalking Page. Also includes photos from walks in NZ and other countries. David Noble's Bushwalking Page.
- Includes TheBackpacker.com www
Includes resource includes advice for beginners, TheBackpacker.com, answers to user submitted questions, directory of trails, and active message board. TheBackpacker.com.
- A Backpackers Guide www
A "how-to-guide" for camping, Guide, backpacking and hiking, especially for those just getting started. Includes packing lists and a sample 3-day menu. Backpackers Guide.
- Three Books About trails on Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada www
Three books prepared and updated periodically by a non-profit society dedicated to providing information to the public about parks and trails on Vancouver Island. Books About trails on Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada.
- Site Day Trips with a Splash: Swimming Across America www
Site provides photos and maps (some free, Trips with a Splash: Swimming Across America, some require membership) from a series of published guides to secluded waterfalls, hidden pools remote two-person tubs. Graphics-heavy. Day Trips with a Splash: Swimming Across America.
- List Ton de Maagt Hiking www
List of links related to travel in Europe, Maagt Hiking, with hiking links listed for most western European countries. Ton de Maagt Hiking.
- Hiking Toronto Hiking www
Hiking and urban walk information for areas in and around the Toronto. Toronto Hiking.
- Brings GeoCaching Flickr Group www
Brings related pictures, Flickr Group, discussions and a map. GeoCaching Flickr Group.
- Designed The Geocachers Creed www
Designed to help orient new players to the ethos of the community and to guide experienced players in questionable situations. The Geocachers Creed.
- Offers Country Walkers www
Offers walking tours, Walkers, hiking vacations and snowshoeing tours around the world. Search by destination, type and date. Country Walkers.
- Andros, Gibco Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours www
Andros, Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours, Bahamas Island - Leads tours of bat caves, termite mounds, and other attractions. Gibco Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours.
- Alexa: Hiking Outdoors
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Hiking Outdoors
- DMOZ: Hiking Outdoors
dmoz.org Directory: Hiking Outdoors