This section, and its subcategories, are for informational, and personal sites which are entirely, or primarily about hiking. Hiking Outdoors Recreation.
Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails ( footpaths ), in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails, in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. On the other hand, in the United Kingdom, and the Republic of Ireland, the word "walking" is acceptable to describe all forms of walking, whether it is a walk in the park or backpacking in the Alps. The word hiking is also often used in the UK, along with rambling, hillwalking, and fell walking. The term "bushwalking" is endemic to Australia, having been adopted by the Sydney Bush Walkers club in 1927. In New Zealand a long, vigorous walk or hike is called tramping. It is a popular activity with numerous hiking organizations worldwide, and studies suggest that all forms of walking have health benefits.
- Hiking Category
- Bivouac shelter - A bivouac shelter is any of a variety of improvised camp site or shelter that is usually of a temporary nature, used especially by soldiers, persons engaged in scouting and mountain climbing.
- Outdoor literature - Outdoor literature is a literature genre about or involving the outdoors. Outdoor literature encompasses several different subgenres including exploration literature, adventure literature, mountain literature and nature writing.
- Dog hiking ? hiking with dogs that carry a pack.
- Llama hiking - Llama hiking, also known as llama trekking or llama caravanning, is an activity where llamas accompany people on walking expeditions, including eco-tourism. The expeditions can last from as little as a few hours to several days.
- Nordic Walking ? fitness walking with poles.
- Scrambling ? "non-technical" rock climbing or mountaineering, or "technical" hiking.
- Tourist activities
- Ultralight Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource www
Ultralight backpacking the Appalachian Trail with a "10 pound pack". Ultralight Backpacking Resource. Includes gear lists, and links. Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource.
- Site DayHiker.com www
Site dedicated to "extreme" day hikes with interesting sights and terrain. DayHiker.com. Small collection of hikes with basic hiking tips, and a hiker's forum. DayHiker.com.
- Virtual Northwest Hiker www
Virtual trail maps and hike suggestions for Idaho, Hiker, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Northwest Hiker.
- Offers Pickatrail www
Offers interactive hiking trail maps and GPS waypoints to help backpackers find trailheads and landmarks. Pickatrail.
- Information Peru's Royal Inca Trail www
Information of places to trek and visit in Peru, Royal Inca Trail, with emphasis on information on trekking in the Incatrail system, Cordillera Blanca, Huayhuash and other new routes in the Andes. Peru's Royal Inca Trail.
- A Gorp: Where to Hike www
A guide to hiking. Where to Hike. Provides trail finders, gear guides, and hiking tips. Gorp: Where to Hike.
- Trail GrandCanyonHiker.com www
Trail profiles, GrandCanyonHiker.com, local weather, bulletin boards, and news about hiking in the Canyon. GrandCanyonHiker.com.
- Information Hike PA www
Information on hiking central Pennsylvania's 1700 miles of trails. Hike PA.
- Devoted Appalachian Trailplace www
Devoted to through hikers of the Appalachian Trail. Trailplace. Hikers' forum, online journals, directory of current thru-hikers, list archive, and shuttle database. Appalachian Trailplace.
- Includes Hiking the Carolinas www
Includes resource for hikers in the Southern Appalachians including the Smokies, the Carolinas, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Detailed trail descriptions, weather reports, directions, bulletin boards for finding hiking partners, and gear exchanges. Hiking the Carolinas.
- Photos Berg-Diasammlung www
Photos of hikes and trekking tours in the alps and world-wide. Berg-Diasammlung.
- Hiking HikeMore www
Hiking and camping resource featuring a database of hiking trails in the USA where backcountry camping is permitted. HikeMore.
- Gives Trail Journals www
Gives daily journals from various trails. Journals. Journals are written by both the site creators and users. Trail Journals.
- Offers TheRucksack.net www
Offers detailed region and tour descriptions, TheRucksack.net, maps, and photos for hikers. TheRucksack.net.
- Information County HighPointers www
Information on finding and hiking the US county high points. County HighPointers.
- Basic The Hiking Web Site www
Basic information for hiking and backpacking beginners. The Hiking Web Site.
- Annual Great Australian Bushwalk www
Annual community event offering free guided walks in many locations. Australian Bushwalk. Includes event history and details of participating non-profit local groups. Great Australian Bushwalk.
- Open Yahoo! Groups: Kevin's Wilderness Walkers www
Open discussion about bushwalking and camping in Australia. Groups: Kevin's Wilderness Walkers. [Yahoo! registration required.] Yahoo! Groups: Kevin's Wilderness Walkers.
- Information, The John Muir Trail www
Information, John Muir Trail, photographs and descriptions of the 211 mile long trail that goes from Yosemite Valley to Mt. Whitney. The John Muir Trail.
- Gear Hackpacking www
Gear reviews, Hackpacking, backpacking reports, and general hiking thoughts centered around the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Hackpacking.
- Publisher The Mountaineers Books www
Publisher of guidebooks and adventure narratives on outdoor recreation, Mountaineers Books, including mountaineering, hiking, trekking and paddling. Includes online catalog and order information. The Mountaineers Books.
- Guide Trail Books for Finger Lakes, NY Area www
Guide books for the Finger Lakes (NY), Books for Finger Lakes, NY Area, and Rochester, NY area. Our books also cover backpacking on the Bruce Trail, Ont, CAN. Trail Books for Finger Lakes, NY Area.
- Directory Exploring earth by hiking www
Directory of interesting places to hike and explore all over the world. Exploring earth by hiking.
- Searchable The Trail Database www
Searchable database of more than 2, Trail Database,000 hikes, walks, and trails all over the globe. Includes current restrictions due to Foot and Mouth Disease and links to several other hiking resources. The Trail Database.
- Tool Certitude www
Tool to verify solution for a puzzle, Certitude, with cache owner's option to allow slightly fuzzy coordinates. List can be sorted in various ways, or can be limited to a time zone or quadrant. Each cache lists people who have solved the puzzle. Certitude.
- Allows GeoCheck www
Allows geocachers to confirm the answer to a puzzle. GeoCheck. Options for cache owners, list of some difficult puzzles. GeoCheck.
- Uk Mountain Nomad Adventures www
Uk based tour operator specializing in small group and tailor-made walking and trekking holidays. Nomad Adventures. Destinations include the Himalaya, Africa and French Alps. Mountain Nomad Adventures.
- Hiking Yankee Travels www
Hiking tours of Switzerland, Travels, the English Lake District, and the Canadian Rockies. Yankee Travels.
- Alexa: Hiking Outdoors
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Hiking Outdoors
- DMOZ: Hiking Outdoors
dmoz.org Directory: Hiking Outdoors