This section, and its subcategories, are for informational, and personal sites which are entirely, or primarily about hiking. Hiking Outdoors Recreation.
Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails ( footpaths ), in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails, in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. On the other hand, in the United Kingdom, and the Republic of Ireland, the word "walking" is acceptable to describe all forms of walking, whether it is a walk in the park or backpacking in the Alps. The word hiking is also often used in the UK, along with rambling, hillwalking, and fell walking. The term "bushwalking" is endemic to Australia, having been adopted by the Sydney Bush Walkers club in 1927. In New Zealand a long, vigorous walk or hike is called tramping. It is a popular activity with numerous hiking organizations worldwide, and studies suggest that all forms of walking have health benefits.
- Hiking Category
- Bivouac shelter - A bivouac shelter is any of a variety of improvised camp site or shelter that is usually of a temporary nature, used especially by soldiers, persons engaged in scouting and mountain climbing.
- Outdoor literature - Outdoor literature is a literature genre about or involving the outdoors. Outdoor literature encompasses several different subgenres including exploration literature, adventure literature, mountain literature and nature writing.
- Dog hiking ? hiking with dogs that carry a pack.
- Llama hiking - Llama hiking, also known as llama trekking or llama caravanning, is an activity where llamas accompany people on walking expeditions, including eco-tourism. The expeditions can last from as little as a few hours to several days.
- Nordic Walking ? fitness walking with poles.
- Scrambling ? "non-technical" rock climbing or mountaineering, or "technical" hiking.
- Tourist activities
- Includes Hiking the Carolinas www
Includes resource for hikers in the Southern Appalachians including the Smokies, the Carolinas, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Detailed trail descriptions, weather reports, directions, bulletin boards for finding hiking partners, and gear exchanges. Hiking the Carolinas.
- Site DayHiker.com www
Site dedicated to "extreme" day hikes with interesting sights and terrain. DayHiker.com. Small collection of hikes with basic hiking tips, and a hiker's forum. DayHiker.com.
- Hiking HikeMore www
Hiking and camping resource featuring a database of hiking trails in the USA where backcountry camping is permitted. HikeMore.
- Trail GrandCanyonHiker.com www
Trail profiles, GrandCanyonHiker.com, local weather, bulletin boards, and news about hiking in the Canyon. GrandCanyonHiker.com.
- Virtual Northwest Hiker www
Virtual trail maps and hike suggestions for Idaho, Hiker, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Northwest Hiker.
- Offers Pickatrail www
Offers interactive hiking trail maps and GPS waypoints to help backpackers find trailheads and landmarks. Pickatrail.
- Basic The Hiking Web Site www
Basic information for hiking and backpacking beginners. The Hiking Web Site.
- Gives Trail Journals www
Gives daily journals from various trails. Journals. Journals are written by both the site creators and users. Trail Journals.
- Information County HighPointers www
Information on finding and hiking the US county high points. County HighPointers.
- Photos Berg-Diasammlung www
Photos of hikes and trekking tours in the alps and world-wide. Berg-Diasammlung.
- Offers TheRucksack.net www
Offers detailed region and tour descriptions, TheRucksack.net, maps, and photos for hikers. TheRucksack.net.
- Information Hike PA www
Information on hiking central Pennsylvania's 1700 miles of trails. Hike PA.
- Devoted Appalachian Trailplace www
Devoted to through hikers of the Appalachian Trail. Trailplace. Hikers' forum, online journals, directory of current thru-hikers, list archive, and shuttle database. Appalachian Trailplace.
- Information Peru's Royal Inca Trail www
Information of places to trek and visit in Peru, Royal Inca Trail, with emphasis on information on trekking in the Incatrail system, Cordillera Blanca, Huayhuash and other new routes in the Andes. Peru's Royal Inca Trail.
- A Gorp: Where to Hike www
A guide to hiking. Where to Hike. Provides trail finders, gear guides, and hiking tips. Gorp: Where to Hike.
- Ultralight Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource www
Ultralight backpacking the Appalachian Trail with a "10 pound pack". Ultralight Backpacking Resource. Includes gear lists, and links. Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource.
- Open Yahoo! Groups: Aubushwalking www
Open discussion about bushwalking in Australia, Groups: Aubushwalking, equipment and finding walking partners. [Yahoo! registration required.] Yahoo! Groups: Aubushwalking.
- Annual Great Australian Bushwalk www
Annual community event offering free guided walks in many locations. Australian Bushwalk. Includes event history and details of participating non-profit local groups. Great Australian Bushwalk.
- Descriptions AboveCalifornia www
Descriptions of trails, AboveCalifornia, maps, weather, campground information, and a library with works by John Muir and others. AboveCalifornia.
- A Backpackers Guide www
A "how-to-guide" for camping, Guide, backpacking and hiking, especially for those just getting started. Includes packing lists and a sample 3-day menu. Backpackers Guide.
- Catalogue Grey Stone Books Catalogue www
Catalogue of books with a selection of Great Britain's walks and hikes to download Grey Stone Books Catalogue.
- Produces Explore Interactive - Multimedia walking guides www
Produces interactive multimedia walking guides on CDs for popular destinations, Interactive - Multimedia walking guides, including Tenerife and Mallorca. Guides include videos, photographs, slide shows, printable maps and walking descriptions. Includes titles and order information. [English and Norwegian] Explore Interactive - Multimedia walking guides.
- Searchable The Trail Database www
Searchable database of more than 2, Trail Database,000 hikes, walks, and trails all over the globe. Includes current restrictions due to Foot and Mouth Disease and links to several other hiking resources. The Trail Database.
- List Ton de Maagt Hiking www
List of links related to travel in Europe, Maagt Hiking, with hiking links listed for most western European countries. Ton de Maagt Hiking.
- Cachers Rankings for Geocachers with 200 or More Finds www
Cachers around the world ranked by number of finds. for Geocachers with 200 or More Finds. Also rankings for U.S. states, Canadian provinces, and nations. Includes FAQ. Rankings for Geocachers with 200 or More Finds.
- Tool Geocache Rating System www
Tool for helping geocachers rate the overall and terrain difficulty of their hidden caches. Geocache Rating System.
- Offers New England Hiking Holidays www
Offers guided hiking tours of North America, England Hiking Holidays, Europe, and the Pacific Rim with lodging in traditional inns, hotels, and guesthouses. New England Hiking Holidays.
- Offers Country Walkers www
Offers walking tours, Walkers, hiking vacations and snowshoeing tours around the world. Search by destination, type and date. Country Walkers.
- Alexa: Hiking Outdoors
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Hiking Outdoors
- DMOZ: Hiking Outdoors
dmoz.org Directory: Hiking Outdoors