This section, and its subcategories, are for informational, and personal sites which are entirely, or primarily about hiking. Hiking Outdoors Recreation.
Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails ( footpaths ), in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails, in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. On the other hand, in the United Kingdom, and the Republic of Ireland, the word "walking" is acceptable to describe all forms of walking, whether it is a walk in the park or backpacking in the Alps. The word hiking is also often used in the UK, along with rambling, hillwalking, and fell walking. The term "bushwalking" is endemic to Australia, having been adopted by the Sydney Bush Walkers club in 1927. In New Zealand a long, vigorous walk or hike is called tramping. It is a popular activity with numerous hiking organizations worldwide, and studies suggest that all forms of walking have health benefits.
- Hiking Category
- Bivouac shelter - A bivouac shelter is any of a variety of improvised camp site or shelter that is usually of a temporary nature, used especially by soldiers, persons engaged in scouting and mountain climbing.
- Outdoor literature - Outdoor literature is a literature genre about or involving the outdoors. Outdoor literature encompasses several different subgenres including exploration literature, adventure literature, mountain literature and nature writing.
- Dog hiking ? hiking with dogs that carry a pack.
- Llama hiking - Llama hiking, also known as llama trekking or llama caravanning, is an activity where llamas accompany people on walking expeditions, including eco-tourism. The expeditions can last from as little as a few hours to several days.
- Nordic Walking ? fitness walking with poles.
- Scrambling ? "non-technical" rock climbing or mountaineering, or "technical" hiking.
- Tourist activities
- John Chapman: Bushwalking www
Author and self publisher of books and information related to walking in all states and territories. Chapman: Bushwalking.
- Ultralight Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource www
Ultralight backpacking the Appalachian Trail with a "10 pound pack". Ultralight Backpacking Resource. Includes gear lists, and links. Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource.
- Information Peru's Royal Inca Trail www
Information of places to trek and visit in Peru, Royal Inca Trail, with emphasis on information on trekking in the Incatrail system, Cordillera Blanca, Huayhuash and other new routes in the Andes. Peru's Royal Inca Trail.
- Information Hike PA www
Information on hiking central Pennsylvania's 1700 miles of trails. Hike PA.
- Trail GrandCanyonHiker.com www
Trail profiles, GrandCanyonHiker.com, local weather, bulletin boards, and news about hiking in the Canyon. GrandCanyonHiker.com.
- Photos Berg-Diasammlung www
Photos of hikes and trekking tours in the alps and world-wide. Berg-Diasammlung.
- Includes Hiking the Carolinas www
Includes resource for hikers in the Southern Appalachians including the Smokies, the Carolinas, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Detailed trail descriptions, weather reports, directions, bulletin boards for finding hiking partners, and gear exchanges. Hiking the Carolinas.
- Hiking HikeMore www
Hiking and camping resource featuring a database of hiking trails in the USA where backcountry camping is permitted. HikeMore.
- A Gorp: Where to Hike www
A guide to hiking. Where to Hike. Provides trail finders, gear guides, and hiking tips. Gorp: Where to Hike.
- Basic The Hiking Web Site www
Basic information for hiking and backpacking beginners. The Hiking Web Site.
- Offers TheRucksack.net www
Offers detailed region and tour descriptions, TheRucksack.net, maps, and photos for hikers. TheRucksack.net.
- Gives Trail Journals www
Gives daily journals from various trails. Journals. Journals are written by both the site creators and users. Trail Journals.
- Offers Pickatrail www
Offers interactive hiking trail maps and GPS waypoints to help backpackers find trailheads and landmarks. Pickatrail.
- Site DayHiker.com www
Site dedicated to "extreme" day hikes with interesting sights and terrain. DayHiker.com. Small collection of hikes with basic hiking tips, and a hiker's forum. DayHiker.com.
- Information County HighPointers www
Information on finding and hiking the US county high points. County HighPointers.
- Devoted Appalachian Trailplace www
Devoted to through hikers of the Appalachian Trail. Trailplace. Hikers' forum, online journals, directory of current thru-hikers, list archive, and shuttle database. Appalachian Trailplace.
- Virtual Northwest Hiker www
Virtual trail maps and hike suggestions for Idaho, Hiker, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Northwest Hiker.
- Annual Great Australian Bushwalk www
Annual community event offering free guided walks in many locations. Australian Bushwalk. Includes event history and details of participating non-profit local groups. Great Australian Bushwalk.
- A The Backpacking Directory www
A directory of links to information about backpacking and hiking, Backpacking Directory, including gear, retailers, trails, trip reports, photos, clubs and organizations, and the Pacific Crest Trail. The Backpacking Directory.
- A Wilderness Utah www
A collection of trail guides, Utah, photos, and trip reports from across the state of Utah. This site also includes informational articles about hiking in the Utah outdoors. Wilderness Utah.
- Book Mount Whitney In One Day www
Book written by a Mt. Whitney In One Day. Whitney veteran hiker who made her first summit at the age of 49. Mount Whitney In One Day.
- The Guidebooks on Waterfalls in the US www
The site for waterfall guide books on the Southeast US. Waterfalls in the US. New trails and updates plus photographs. Guidebooks on Waterfalls in the US.
- A Peak to Peak Trail and Wilderness Links www
A directory of trail, Peak Trail and Wilderness Links, and wilderness sites from around the world. Peak to Peak Trail and Wilderness Links.
- Directory Exploring earth by hiking www
Directory of interesting places to hike and explore all over the world. Exploring earth by hiking.
- Links OpenCaching.eu www
Links to national opencaching sites, OpenCaching.eu, and a forum. Network of geocache databases. OpenCaching.eu.
- Tool Geocache Rating System www
Tool for helping geocachers rate the overall and terrain difficulty of their hidden caches. Geocache Rating System.
- Offers New England Hiking Holidays www
Offers guided hiking tours of North America, England Hiking Holidays, Europe, and the Pacific Rim with lodging in traditional inns, hotels, and guesthouses. New England Hiking Holidays.
- Andros, Gibco Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours www
Andros, Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours, Bahamas Island - Leads tours of bat caves, termite mounds, and other attractions. Gibco Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours.
- Alexa: Hiking Outdoors
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Hiking Outdoors
- DMOZ: Hiking Outdoors
dmoz.org Directory: Hiking Outdoors