This section, and its subcategories, are for informational, and personal sites which are entirely, or primarily about hiking. Hiking Outdoors Recreation.
Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails ( footpaths ), in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Hiking is the preferred term, in Canada and the United States, for a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails, in the countryside, while the word walking is used for shorter, particularly urban walks. On the other hand, in the United Kingdom, and the Republic of Ireland, the word "walking" is acceptable to describe all forms of walking, whether it is a walk in the park or backpacking in the Alps. The word hiking is also often used in the UK, along with rambling, hillwalking, and fell walking. The term bushwalking is endemic to Australia, having been adopted by the Sydney Bush Walkers club in 1927. In New Zealand a long, vigorous walk or hike is called tramping. It is a popular activity with numerous hiking organizations worldwide, and studies suggest that all forms of walking have health benefits.
- Hiking Category
- Bivouac shelter - A bivouac shelter is any of a variety of improvised camp site or shelter that is usually of a temporary nature, used especially by soldiers, persons engaged in scouting and mountain climbing.
- Outdoor literature - Outdoor literature is a literature genre about or involving the outdoors. Outdoor literature encompasses several different subgenres including exploration literature, adventure literature, mountain literature and nature writing.
- Dog hiking ? hiking with dogs that carry a pack.
- Llama hiking - Llama hiking, also known as llama trekking or llama caravanning, is an activity where llamas accompany people on walking expeditions, including eco-tourism. The expeditions can last from as little as a few hours to several days.
- Nordic Walking ? fitness walking with poles.
- Scrambling ? "non-technical" rock climbing or mountaineering, or "technical" hiking.
- Tourist activities
- Adventure travel
- Basic The Hiking Web Site www
Basic information for hiking and backpacking beginners. The Hiking Web Site.
- Site DayHiker.com www
Site dedicated to "extreme" day hikes with interesting sights and terrain. DayHiker.com. Small collection of hikes with basic hiking tips, and a hiker's forum. DayHiker.com.
- Devoted Appalachian Trailplace www
Devoted to through hikers of the Appalachian Trail. Trailplace. Hikers' forum, online journals, directory of current thru-hikers, list archive, and shuttle database. Appalachian Trailplace.
- Photos Berg-Diasammlung www
Photos of hikes and trekking tours in the alps and world-wide. Berg-Diasammlung.
- Hiking HikeMore www
Hiking and camping resource featuring a database of hiking trails in the USA where backcountry camping is permitted. HikeMore.
- Includes Hiking the Carolinas www
Includes resource for hikers in the Southern Appalachians including the Smokies, the Carolinas, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Detailed trail descriptions, weather reports, directions, bulletin boards for finding hiking partners, and gear exchanges. Hiking the Carolinas.
- Offers TheRucksack.net www
Offers detailed region and tour descriptions, TheRucksack.net, maps, and photos for hikers. TheRucksack.net.
- Ultralight Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource www
Ultralight backpacking the Appalachian Trail with a "10 pound pack". Ultralight Backpacking Resource. Includes gear lists, and links. Onestep's Ultralight Backpacking Resource.
- Information Hike PA www
Information on hiking central Pennsylvania's 1700 miles of trails. Hike PA.
- Gives Trail Journals www
Gives daily journals from various trails. Journals. Journals are written by both the site creators and users. Trail Journals.
- Offers Pickatrail www
Offers interactive hiking trail maps and GPS waypoints to help backpackers find trailheads and landmarks. Pickatrail.
- Trail GrandCanyonHiker.com www
Trail profiles, GrandCanyonHiker.com, local weather, bulletin boards, and news about hiking in the Canyon. GrandCanyonHiker.com.
- A Gorp: Where to Hike www
A guide to hiking. Where to Hike. Provides trail finders, gear guides, and hiking tips. Gorp: Where to Hike.
- Virtual Northwest Hiker www
Virtual trail maps and hike suggestions for Idaho, Hiker, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Northwest Hiker.
- Information County HighPointers www
Information on finding and hiking the US county high points. County HighPointers.
- Information Peru's Royal Inca Trail www
Information of places to trek and visit in Peru, Royal Inca Trail, with emphasis on information on trekking in the Incatrail system, Cordillera Blanca, Huayhuash and other new routes in the Andes. Peru's Royal Inca Trail.
- Annual Great Australian Bushwalk www
Annual community event offering free guided walks in many locations. Australian Bushwalk. Includes event history and details of participating non-profit local groups. Great Australian Bushwalk.
- Stories David Noble's Bushwalking Page www
Stories and photos of walks in the Blue Mountains of NSW and the Arthur Ranges in Tasmania. Noble's Bushwalking Page. Also includes photos from walks in NZ and other countries. David Noble's Bushwalking Page.
- Articles Spadout - Backpacking www
Articles and tools for backpacking gear. Spadout - Backpacking.
- Backpacking The Backpacking Site www
Backpacking information, Backpacking Site, adventure stories, photos, gear reviews, articles and other resources. The Backpacking Site.
- For Trailblazer Travel Books www
For adventure travelers seeking hiking and biking trails from Tahoe to Yosemite, Travel Books, from San Francisco to Marin, and on Kauai, Maui, and the big island of Hawaii. Includes reviews, photos and order information. Trailblazer Travel Books.
- Guide Trail Books for Finger Lakes, NY Area www
Guide books for the Finger Lakes (NY), Books for Finger Lakes, NY Area, and Rochester, NY area. Our books also cover backpacking on the Bruce Trail, Ont, CAN. Trail Books for Finger Lakes, NY Area.
- Searchable LocalHikes www
Searchable list of hiking trails near metropolitan areas in the US. LocalHikes. Trail descriptions include condition, distance, elevation gain, hike time, and difficulty. LocalHikes.
- Includes Get Hiking www
Includes resources and links to trail locations, Hiking, recommended gear, book reviews, and a forum. Get Hiking.
- A Caching Tree www
A way to visualize who introduced whom to geocaching. Tree. Requires Java. Links to profiles. Unreadable in smaller monitors. Caching Tree.
- A Cacheopedia www
A wiki-based online encyclopedia, Cacheopedia, reference, and guide. Cacheopedia.
- Offers Country Walkers www
Offers walking tours, Walkers, hiking vacations and snowshoeing tours around the world. Search by destination, type and date. Country Walkers.
- Andros, Gibco Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours www
Andros, Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours, Bahamas Island - Leads tours of bat caves, termite mounds, and other attractions. Gibco Nature Walks and Blue Hole Tours.
- Alexa: Hiking Outdoors
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Hiking Outdoors
- DMOZ: Hiking Outdoors
dmoz.org Directory: Hiking Outdoors