Living History is the reenactment of times past via the reproduction of daily living and the activities therein - including wars, games, faires, artisans, and first-person interpretations - through historic research, period garb, and the use of an era's common tools and objects. It is used as both a means of educating others and remembering the times in which our ancestors lived. Living History Recreation.
In December 2000, Simon & Schuster agreed to pay Clinton a reported $8 million advance for what became Living History —a near-record figure to an author for an advance at that time. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Living history is an activity that incorporates historical tools, activities and dress into an interactive presentation that seeks to give observers and participants a sense of stepping back in time. Although it does not necessarily seek to reenact a specific event in history, living history is similar to, and sometimes incorporates, historical reenactment. Living history is an educational medium used by living history museums, historic sites, heritage interpreters, schools and historical reenactment groups to educate the public or their own members in particular areas of history, such as clothing styles, pastimes and handicrafts, or to simply convey a sense of the everyday life of a certain period in history.
- Historical reenactment - Historical reenactment is an educational or entertainment activity in which people follow a plan to recreate aspects of a historical event or period.
- Open-air museum - An open-air museum is a museum that exhibits collections of buildings and artifacts out-of-doors. They are also frequently known as museums of buildings or folk museums. The concept of an open-air museum originated in Scandinavia in the late 19th century and spread widely.
- The 1900 House - The 1900 House is a historical reality television programme made by Wall to Wall/Channel 4 in 1999. In the show, a modern family tries to live in the way of the late Victorians in 1900 for three months in a modified house. It was shown on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom and PBS in America.
- The 1920s Berlin Project - The 1920s Berlin Project is a historical role-playing community in Second Life. It is a sim game intended to simulate daily life in Berlin during the Weimar Republic and give the appearance and feel of authentic 1920s Weimar culture.
- Historically themed events
- Historical reenactment by type
- Everyday Museum Village www
Everyday village life of 150 years ago is made avid by knowledgeable interpreters demonstrating life in the 19th Century. Museum Village.
- Includes Reenactor.net www
Includes listing of historical societies, Reenactor.net, organizations, and associations. Articles on reenactment and an events calendar. Reenactor.net.
- Based Lively Arts History Association (LAHA) www
Based in Southern California, Arts History Association (LAHA), LAHA fosters an understanding of history through the performing arts; programs include living history, lectures, concerts and vintage dance. Lively Arts History Association (LAHA).
- A Re-Enacting Glossary www
A humorous and serious guide to the jargon of historical hobbyists. Re-Enacting Glossary.
- Search Histrenact - The Historical Reenactment Web Site www
Search engine and directory of the global historical reenactment community. The Historical Reenactment Web Site. Contains links to reenactment societies, trader details and other information for the global reenactment community. Histrenact - The Historical Reenactment Web Site.
- Organization Association of Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums (ALHFAM) www
Organization for those involved in historical reenactment. Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums (ALHFAM). Membership information, links, glossary and bibliography, employment postings, regional meetings, and board of directors. Association of Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums (ALHFAM).
- Hands-on Heart to Hearth Cookery with Susan McLellan Plaisted www
Hands-on classes, Hearth Cookery with Susan McLellan Plaisted, demos, slide and lecture programs for colonial and Native American cooking from the 17th through 20th centuries. Heart to Hearth Cookery with Susan McLellan Plaisted.
- Organization Living History Australia www
Organization of professional reenactors bring history to life, History Australia, Egyptian Pharaohs to Colonial Australia, for Australian educational programs and other public events. Program descriptions, contact information. Living History Australia.
- Town Chester’s Town Criers www
Town crier and costumed Regency speaker services as well as after dinner speaking. Town Criers. Features profiles and photos. Chester, United Kingdom. Chester’s Town Criers.
- Focusing Íþrottír - a Viking Age Quarterly www
Focusing primarily on crafts, a Viking Age Quarterly, skills, and knowledge related to the early Middle Ages, as well as announcements of and reports on re-enactment events. Íþrottír - a Viking Age Quarterly.
- Resource Call To Arms www
Resource guide to the living history and heritage industry. Arms. News and how to subscribe. Call To Arms.
- A Moscow Renaissance Fair www
A celebration of spring with food, Renaissance Fair, crafts, and live entertainment for kids and adults of all ages in Moscow, Idaho Moscow Renaissance Fair.
- Offers New York Renaissance Faire www
Offers continuous performances by jugglers, York Renaissance Faire, jesters, minstrels and magicians, as well as jousts by knights in armor on charging horses located in Sterling Forest, near Tuxedo, NY. New York Renaissance Faire.
- Historical Panther Primitives www
Historical accurate reproduction tents for reenactments and collectors; Medieval to American Colonial. Primitives. Mail order catalog; contact information. Panther Primitives.
- Historically Medieval Reproductions www
Historically accurate reproductions of medieval arms, Reproductions, armour, and artwork, Roman to Renaissance; Period costumes, accessories, furniture, architectural embellishments. On line catalog. Medieval Reproductions.
- A The Hunt www
A searchable database of SCA-related sites and information of interest to SCA members, Hunt, including classified advertisements. Sites can be added by users. The Hunt.
- Archived Stefan's Florilegium Archive www
Archived messages from the rec. Florilegium Archive.org.sca newsgroup ("The Rialto") and other articles grouped by subject. Stefan's Florilegium Archive.
- Alexa: Living History Recreation
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Living History Recreation
- DMOZ: Living History Recreation
dmoz.org Directory: Living History Recreation